[TowerTalk] Liquid Electrical Tape thinner answer

Richard Musicer n6cr@dentfirst.com
Wed, 06 Oct 1999 11:15:35 -0400

I had several half-used gummy cans of Liquid Electrical Tape that needed
thinning.  I called Star-brite, the original manufacturing company of
the product in Ft. Lauderdale and was advised that the thinner is MEK.
This is commonly available in paint stores as well as Big Orange type
stores.  However, use it with extreme caution.  In addition to high
flammability, it is highly carcinogenic.
I can speak to 12 year longevity of this product--no breakdown or
flaking in Georgia climate.  Incidentally, Homely Depot now carries a
Plasti-Dip product also called Liquid Electrical Tape (although
Star-brite claims a trade-mark on the name).  I am trying this knock-off
to see how it performs over time.  Initially, it appears to be thinner,
which might be an advantage over the life of the can (less MEK to add).
73 es GL, Rick, N6CR in Atlanta