[TowerTalk] C3 vs tennadyne

lsica@visi.com lsica@visi.com
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 11:38:40 -0500 (CDT)

> Comparisons with bigger arrays is also needed so
> one can get a realistic assessment of how well you
> can likely compete with the multitude.  Also it
> provides some info on just what it will take
> (cost) to become more competitive.

Am I the only ham out there on a budget, who has to spend SOME of his
income on a mortgage and little things like that? Or maybe even spends some
of his DISCRETIONARY income on things the rest of the family can enjoy like
occasional minor vacations and stuff like that? Because I guess that means
that I must be the only who actually has to use COST as a limiting factor to
an antenna set up long before performance is considered.

> I really wonder what the "average array" looks
> like today.  5 elements on 20 at 100' or what?

Average for what? The average HF licensed ham? I'd suspect that's not much
more than a vertical or dipole. Even among those who fancy themselves DXer's and Contesters, I'd be surprised if it was more than a mid to
large size tri-bander (24 foot boom or so).

Sure, there are guys with 5 elements on 20 at 100', and maybe there are more
and more of them, but they're hardly "average".

--
Lou Sica
lsica@visi.com