[TowerTalk] Comparing LPDAs vs Yagis

Joe L Blackwell aa4nn@juno.com
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 13:07:35 -0400

What a wonderful idea, a contest of sorts.  Could be a pileup.
Let's see if we can get some person in Missouri or some
central point in the US of A to participate.  The entire US of A
could point their yagis at that location and make a QSO just
for signal strength, reporting of course the yagi in use.  The
poor soul at this central point would need a credible signal
strength meter in order to record the S of the RST report.  As
well as the type of antenna in use , it's height, power to it, freq,
and time of day.  Dipoles and slopers would be recorded as
well, as the fellers who use wire antennas really need to know
how their stuff works.  What a job.  Anybody out there need a life ?

I could do it, my QTH is 150 miles inland from the Atlantic,
Lake Wylie, SC, which is a little lop sided from central US of A
for sure, but mebbe that is good.  Could get good reports from
Europe, tho.  That would be interesting, if you could get those
Italians to report their actual power to the antenna.  SRI, couldn't
help myself for throwing that in.

Okay, for these tests, I am talking CW only, key down for a good
signal strength reading , QSB notwithstanding.  Peaks recorded.
Call it the AA4NN Worldwide Test of Yagis vs Log Periodics.

While I work 160, 80 and 40 for the most part, I am capable of using
the Mosley PRO 57-B on 10, 15 & 20 at 100ft, the freqs supposedly
in question for yagis vs log periodics.  Does not matter what I receive
on, as long as I receive on the same antenna for all contacts in this
test.  And, of course, for a contact, I point my antenna at yours.

SRI, this test is CW only, as I am CW only.  Look for a CQ on the
following freqs for about two weeks from this day's date.  I'll be
signing AA4NN ANT TEST, 28.010, 21,010 and 14.010

Vy  73, de Joe AA4NN
Eastern Top Band ARC,  Carolina DX Assn,  Carolina CW Ops,
Fairfield County Contesters, Ten-Tec only, CW only.
eeetet   ee