[TowerTalk] LPDA gain figures

Louis Sica lsica@visi.com
Wed, 06 Oct 1999 14:49:21 -0500

On the topic that seems to be so much fun recently on this reflector...

I've been reading some older LPDA articles by Peter Rhodes, K4EWG,
running from 1973 to 1992, in various QST articles and articles in ARRL
Antenna Compendiums. Seems he's always claimed that logs have
substatially more gain than recent computer models seem to show. I've
also read K9LA's article in the latest Antenna Compendium where he talks
about the "2 gain tables" for Log Periodics, and how older numbers were
"optimistic" by about "2 dB", but I just find it interesting that the
ham community didn't adapt those numbers as "gospel" until about 5 years
ago. I wonder if we're not throwing out 20 years (yes, I know the log is
older than that, I'm going back to K4EWG's first articles in QST) of lab
data for 5 years of computer modeling.