[TowerTalk] C-19XR vs TH-6

Curtis, David B david.b.curtis@intel.com
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 14:43:14 -0700

Have anyone tried the methodology outlined in Leeson's _Physical Design of
Yagi Antennas_ ?

I have not.  Let's see if I can recall it... this may be slightly mangled,
as it's been a while since I read this section:
1. Get two receivers where RF gain control does not bias the S-meter upwards
as RF gain is lowered.
2. Attach one receiver to each antenna.
3. Back RF gain down to the point where the S-meter is mostly resting on the
zero peg, but bounces up on propagation enhancements.
4. Watch for a "sufficiently long time", and count the number of S-meter
bounces from each antenna.
5. Antenna with the most S-meter bounces wins.

Rather than misquote Dave Leeson any worse than I probably already have, I
leave it to you to dig out the book and read further.

73, Dave N6NZ

-----Original Message-----
From: Barry Kutner [mailto:w2up@mindspring.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 07, 1999 2:19 PM
To: BUBS; towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] C-19XR vs TH-6

I find it difficult enough to do reliable "number 1 number 1 number 2
number 2" comparisons, with QSB, QRM, etc. It's amazing how
you can make such dogmatic performance statements by taking
one antenna down and putting another up weeks/months later.

And just for the record, I am using TH7s, and very pleased with
them.

73 Barry

Newtown, PA         FRC         alternate: barry@w2up.wells.com