[TowerTalk] GAP Titan

Phil Clements philk5pc@tyler.net
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 10:49:36 -0500

> I haven't owned a GAP, but a good friend, K2RM, had one for a couple of
> years.  Rarely two months went by when some physical part didn't fall off
> into his back yard...literally!  He tried everything including lightly
> guying the antenna with nylon cord.  (He is NOT in a windy area and the
> antenna was protected by a stockade fence around the back yard.)  I think
> GAP replaced parts until the warranty period ran out.
>
> I was with him when he talked with the owner of GAP at Dayton, two separate
> years.  The guy basically told him, "That's too bad."  He didn't offer to
> replace his obviously bad antenna or extend the warranty or provide
> additional replacement parts, nor did he even express regrets for the
> on-going problems.
>
> Bob finally replaced the GAP with another vertical...an R5, I think.  On
> our weekly schedule, his 40M signal from Ft. Worth, TX to me in Ruidoso, NM
> increased quite dramatically. He hasn't had a single problem with the new
> antenna.
>
> Based on Bob's experiences, and equally on the attitude I saw from the GAP
> guy, I wouldn't have one as a gift.
>
> Ed, W5EJ
>
>  >Rod - I'm not sure "exactly" why this group "hates" the GAP Titan. I have
> one
>  >an I am very pleased with it.

Maybe it could be their trying to re-invent the way vertical antennas work
and their deceptive ads(that prey upon unknowing new hams) that we don't
like.

If the instruction book on any vertical antenna does not say "put down as many
radials as you can, as long as you can; chances are you are dealing with more
"snake oil," "magic," and witchcraft than you are antenna theory.

All vertical antennas require an extensive ground system to prevent RF energy
from warming worms instead of being reflected up and away.

I know, I know...do not bother telling how you worked 333 countries with no
radials. I have worked several countries in my distant past with door bell
wire clipped to a rain gutter. We are talking efficiency here; or, for those
of you in Rio Linda, "more bang for the buck."

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC