[TowerTalk] GAP Titan

Larry Knapp kc8jx@yahoo.com
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 12:57:52 -0700 (PDT)

To Mike & Joe & Phil and others:  Guess another "opinion" maker has been
started.  I'm glad that someone has spoken up about the radial issue on a GAP.
There are many who are certainly more learned than I about antenna theory but
to go against a manufacturers specifications seems to be not a good idea.  If
there were only ONE way to construct antennas than why do we have so many three
or four element tribanders of different designs & configurations?  Are they all
wrong and only one design is correct?  No one other than GAP has ever stretched
the truth about designs or performance?  I refer one to the Gotham vertical ads
of the 50's and 60's - stretched truth?  I'm sure if I researched the archives
enough I could find more.

Mike (WA0SXV) makes a good point also.  Almost every manufacturer has been
slammed on this forum about shoddy product from rivets to screws to whatever.
Guess most of our antenna stuff we buy is not really worth the money - huh?
Every company needs to improve it's customer relations; not one that I know of
is perfect.  Look at what some have said about Cushcraft; Force 12; KLM....and
the list goes on.  I remember folks taking about the beating Cuscraft verticals
have taken regaring the black box components & hardware in their "no radial"
design verticals.  I'm glad I live in a country where we can all make our own
decisions which we have to live by (at least some of us do).  My GAP seems to
be surviving ok.  No parts have fallen off yet.  No snow & ice accumulation
have rendered it useless.  No part has been burned off by excessive rf.  Works
very well on ALL bands on all amateur frequencies from 40 M thru 2 M (including
about 125 Kcs of the high end of 75 around 3885 where I like evening AM
activity).  At this time I can say nothing really bad about it - yet.  But I
reserve the right to do so in the future.
FWIW...............73's Larry

=====
May your days be full of sunshine and good thoughts fill your head.
From: Larry Knapp, KC8JX, St. Joseph, Mi  49085
  Best 73's