[TowerTalk] GAP Titan

Peter Larsen ve6yc@home.com
Sat, 09 Oct 1999 16:35:16 +0100

Hi All:
I too had a Voyager. I used it at my home for about 2
years. I took it on a IOTA DXpedition to Cameron Island,
CH8MNP. When I go home I lent it out the the local DX club.
While it was out there some kind soul cut one set of guys
just to see it fall.
After I got it home I used it for another 2 years before selling
it.
In all this time NOTHING fell off. The only damage to it was from
the fall. Some minor bending of the tuning rods and one of the
jumper wires came free.
It is still in use at a friend's place and he is happy with it.
On every band that it works on it out ran the R-7 we took with us
to CH8MNP. In fact I worked VK9NS on the Gap on 40, but he
couldn't
be heard on the R-7.

> >I haven't owned a GAP, but a good friend, K2RM, had one for a couple of
> >years.  Rarely two months went by when some physical part didn't fall off
> >into his back yard...literally!

> Just as one more data point, I've had a GAP Voyager up for about a year
> now and it has been out in sustained winds of 80 mph with gusts over
> 100 mph.  Nothing has fallen off, all components are intact...

IMHO if you take your time and build these antennas right they
will last a long time.

--
 Peter J. Larsen
 VE6YC

 Never argue with an idiot.  They drag you down to their
 level, then beat you with experience.