[TowerTalk] newbie, Installing a 80' crank up

Dick Flanagan dick@libelle.com
Sat, 9 Oct 1999 13:55:01 -0700

At 12:12 PM -0700 on 10/9/99, you wrote:

>All I can say to you Dick is, thank you very much!

You're welcome.  A lot of folks helped me, so I'm just trying to return
the favor.

>This antenna is only a 5 sq. ft. wind load. wouldn't you think this falls
>into a "TV antenna" classification?

Absolutely NOT!  Take a look at http://www.qsl.net/w6old/partyinstall.html

My seven-element 24 foot six meter yagi has 3 sq ft wind load.  My
two-element forty meter yagi has a little over 6 sq ft.  Imagine
standing up in the back of a pickup truck going 40 mph and trying to
hold up a 5 sq ft piece of plywood flat against the wind!

Nope, no "TV antenna" here.

>and that this tower will support it? Blocked off at each section of course.
>as to relieve crank up cable tension.

Knowing nothing about the structural strength of your tower, I can't
say (try to identify it and then see what the manufacturer originally
rated it for), but it *probably* will be ok.  If you intend to mount
the antenna at the top of a tall mast to get it away from the guy
wires, however, you will need to research the kind of mast material to
use and whether the top of the tower is strong enough to take the side
forces that will be applied by that tall lever arm.  I used a 3/8"-wall
chrome steel mast.

73, Dick

--
Dick Flanagan W6OLD CFII Minden, Nevada DM09db (South of Reno)
Visit http://www.qsl.net/cvrc/