[TowerTalk] GAP Titan

Jim Reid jreid@aloha.net
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 09:07:21 -1000

> I had my Titan mounted at 12' and at 2'.  When at 12' this
>helped the receive on 10m and 15m.  It also shifted the
>usable portion of 40 and 80m by a considerable amount
>and narrowed that usable portion.

Of course!  When raised,  the Q of the antenna system went up
as the ground loading resistance decreased,  particularly on the
low bands where the E field ground penetration depth is quite
high.

> As I wanted good 40m performance I tried the low mounting
>and 40 and 80m improved to specs.

I presume that what you saw "improved"  was the width of
the vswr curve;  again,  you saw only the result of adding
series resistance into your RF antenna circuit.

> Not that this antenna was a great performer.  Sometimes
>on 40m it worked super and I can recall many times when
>I could not make myself be heard.

Yes,  you probably were loosing up to 5 dB of your rig power
in hearing losses in the ground resistance,  probably especially
during dry weather.

73,  Jim,  KH7M