[TowerTalk] half wave verticals

Ron Youvan ka4inm@qsl.net
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 04:12:37 +0000

K4SB wrote:

> << Try feeding a 1/2 wave element at the top. You've still got to
> have a ground return, and I'll guarantee you'll never match it. I
> must be missing something here. This is gibberish. And what
> ground clutter are you referring to?  >>

  Ground clutter is from buildings and trees, if the bottom of your 40 meter
`half wave length vertical' is 40 or 50 ' above the ground, the ground losses
become minimal, for instance.

> << You seems to be  missing the point that in all vertical antennas, a path
> must
> exist for ground return, and the lower resistance that path
> exhibites, the better the antenna will perform.  >>

  I disagree, All  quarter wave antennae require a `counterpoise' (horizontally
or vertically mounted - ground has nothing to do with it)  A vertically mounted
center fed  dipole needs NO MORE ground or radials than a horizontally mounted
dipole.  An end fed dipole works exactly like a center fed dipole except the
impedance is ` the opposite'.  Very high instead of very low.

   If you feed a 18" long radiator (piece of pipe or rod) at one end with a
matching stub, feed it with a 146 mHz Handy Talkie  (50 Ohm) and send it up
hanging from a balloon, you seem to say it won't radiate.  Works fine as frog
hair.

  73 (= Best Regards) de: Ron ka4inm@qsl.net
VISIT my HAM WEB SITE at: http://www.qsl.net/ka4inm
  using LINUX here & loving it!