[TowerTalk] G-800S problem

Tom Hammond - N0SS n0ss@earthlink.net
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 09:48:20 -0500

Ted/Rajiv:

I, too, have the same problem and I KNOW that mine's NOT related
to RF getting into the rotor.

Like Rajiv, I believe that the problem is due to the fact that
my rotor, a G-1000S, has no brake per se and the breezes tend to
cause the beam to force the rotor to 'drift' past the dead-zone of
the preset.  NOTE that my problems occur ONLY when I'm using the
preset and when it has not been canceled by momentarily pressing
the CW or CCW bar.

My problem often gets to the point that the rotor will begin to
oscillate back 'n forth between the two end points of the preset
dead zone and it'll continut to do so until I deliberately STOP
it by cenceling Preset mode.

I've found that if I set my rotation speed at about half-scale,
I can (usually) get the beam to continue to 'drift in' to its
intended position with out the back 'n forth 'stroking' of the
rotor, but even this sometimes isn't enough.  And there are times
when the rotor has been 'quiet' for quite a while and then, all
of a suddem it'll start oscillating back 'n forth again.  I guess
this is due to wind drift, but I cannot confirm this.

Sure wish there was a control inside the Yaesu control boxes that'd
allow us to adjust the width of the preset dead zone, to allow for
a bit more drift before the rotor decides to fix things itself.
THIS IS A PROBLEM!

73 - Tom Hammond   N0SS

Then Rajiv (N2RD replied: