[TowerTalk] J-Pole Antenna on HF Bands

Mark L. n1lo@hotmail.com
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 12:36:55 GMT

Don wrote
<< ...snip...Is the J-Pole limited to the higher frequencies, or can it be
also be used in the HF spectrum? If so, will the formulas work at these
lower frequencies? >>

Hi Don,
Yes, HF J-poles really work! I think of it as an end-fed vertical dipole. My
first 10m & 20m antennas here, before I put up my tower, were homebrew wire
j-poles pulled up into trees. They were and still are, effective DX
antennas.
I posted design data for these right here in Towertalk so you may try to
find that in the archives.
For my designs, I used bare, stranded, 18 gauge wire for the radiators,
assuming a nominal velocity coefficient of 0.95, and 450 ohm, solid
copper-clad ladder line for the matching stubs, assuming a velocity
coefficient of 0.91. Following the formulas with a 1/2 wave radiator and a
1/4 wave stub, taking care to mind the velocity coefficients above, got me
real close. A little experimentation on the feed point and you can have a
great vertical.
I also used coax choke baluns at the feedpoints. I made pigtails from RG-58
that had a connector on one end, for the feedline, a choke balun coil, and a
free end that gets soldered to the tap points on the matching stub.
To stow them, you can just wind 'em up on one of those orange electrical
cord reels, rope and all.

It never occurred to me to create radials under them to try and improve
their efficiency as per the current discussion. I had a lot of fun with them
just by themselves. A single rope over a high tree branch (70' at my QTH) is
all it takes to get on.

Have fun experimenting and good luck!

--...MARK_N1LO...--