[TowerTalk] Elementary question about Skip

Jonathan Kaplan jonk@jskent.com
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 08:33:59 -0700

OK Gang,
	Here's a question I feel I should know but don't. I just
finished installing an expensive tower-antenna combo.
It's a M2 40m dipole above a TH7DX on the top of a
US Tower HDX555. Now, I'm pleased generally with the
setup, except I can't figure out the following:
I often get listings via the local DX Spotcluster, posted
by local hams of interesting DX spots, but more often
than not, I get nothing when I tune in.  Now, I don't expecct
to be able to hear an internet-gated spot posted by a ham in
another state, but many of these spots are from hams within
50 miles of me. Can someone explain this phenomenon and
what rule, if any, is there about the footprint on the ground
of a DX skip?

Thanks

CUL
Jonathan KO6XS