[TowerTalk] Chicken Wire

Kurt Andress K7NV@contesting.com
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 18:28:44 -0700

"Roger D. Johnson" wrote:

> Be aware that there are TWO types of chicken wire
> on the market......galvanized BEFORE weaving and
> galvanized AFTER weaving. If you look closely at
> the points where the wires are twisted around one
> another, the galvanized after weaving type looks like
> it's been soldered. To avoid corrosion and possible
> poor connections at these crossover points, I would
> recommend using only the galvanized after weaving
> type of chicken wire.

Hi Roger,
Sure makes sense that the post weaving galvanize is best.

I have a question for our experts.
Is galvanized steel wire going to provide reasonable/acceptable
performance in the ground screen?

I'm sure copper is a better conductor, would someone be kind enough to
help put these materials into perspective for us in this application.

The soil chemistry has a lot to do with longevity. Its dry, sandy and
alkaline here.

I noticed some galvanized steel electric fence wire at "Supply None" the
other day for 1/2 cent a foot. I recall that Davis RF had some copper
wire for 1 1/2 cents per foot.

Should we expect 3 times the performance and/or longevity by spending 3
times more? YPMV (your prices may vary).

Maybe, just like ground rods, one may be better in one location than
another for longevity. Surely, the jacketed copper wires have an
advantage against corrosion. I'd hate to think that I'd have to replace
the galvanized wire 3 times in the lifetime of the copper alternative.

Maybe some more discussion would make it easier for each to make the
best informed decisions for their situation.

--
73, Kurt, K7NV