[TowerTalk] Tramming Primer? Need Info

W4nf@aol.com W4nf@aol.com
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 08:30:57 EDT

Hello everyone,

I will be finished on Saturday with the assemby of the C3E and plan to put it
up the next weekend.  I'm interested in using the tramming method to get it
up to and in place on my 75' tower.  I will have the mast sticking out of the
top of the tower about 6 feet when I mount the C3E.  (I will be mounting the
C3E 4' down from the top of the mast based on my wind load calculations and
approved building plans).  After I get the C3E on I will push the remaining
mast up through the tower and mount the 40-2CD about a foot above the tower
top.  This will give me about 11' separation between the C3E and 40-2CD with
a total of 16' of mast out the top of the tower.

Anyway,  I have looked through the archives and was able to gather some info
on tramming but I still need information such as:
1.  What to use for the tram line (rope, wire rope, sizes)
2.  Best way to attach it to the mast and back guying the mast.
3.  Traveling pulley sizes, sources
4.  How does the antenna get pulled up?  By the guy on the tower, Thru a
pulley with the line run down the tower thru the tower block and then to the
ground crew?
5.  Best way to attach and use taglines.
6.  Anything else that would help.

I'm gathering the things needed this weekend and into next week so I need to
move fast in order to have everything I need before the first antenna goes
up.  With the weight and size of the C3E I don't expect any problems with
getting it on the tower but this will help me prepare for getting the 40-2CD
up, which I know is not big compared to some antennas, but it is the biggest
antenna that I have dealt with.  Thanks for your help in advance.

Jack W4NF Manassas, VA