[TowerTalk] knots

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 09:01:01 EDT

In a message dated 99-10-18 08:32:20 EDT, aa4nn@juno.com writes:

> The virtue in a bowline is it's easy to tie, it won't slip and can be
>  easily untied even if  wet and having been stressed.  It is used
>  to tie a rope around an object.
>  The figure eight is used to secure a rope that has been passed
>  through a hole so it doesn't slip back through.

     In my tower work, I tend to use the bowline almost all the time because
it's a physically smaller knot than a figure 8. When hoisting an antenna, by
the time you get the antenna to the mast many times the clearances can be
small (you ever been an inch short of having the antenna in the right
place?). The figure 8, while easier to tie for a non-knot person, is a bigger
knot.

Cheers,    Steve    K7LXC