[TowerTalk] Taping of Element Clamps

Michael Tope W4EF@pacbell.net
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 23:17:45 -0700

I am in the process of prepping a KLM 40M4 and KT34XA for
reinstallation at our club station, and was wondering what
the collective wisdom was on taping of element joints. When
the antennas were initially installed a number of years ago
all of the element section joints appear to have been taped
with some kind of electrical "fusion" tape (black PVC with
extra thick rubbery adhesive coating). Presumably this was
done to keep moisture away from the element mechanical joints.

In most cases, the combination of this "fusion" tape and a
coating of Penatrox/anti seize (not sure what was used originally)
seems to have done a good job. Nevertheless, I am wondering if
this evident performance wasn't mostly due to the Penatrox since
the voids between the SS hose clamps and the elements seemed to
have accumulated a fair amount of precipitate (white powdery stuff),
whereas the joints themselves, for the most part, did not seize
or corrode (a couple of joints did seize, but I suspect that the
builders may have forgotten to coat these joints with Penatrox).

Any thoughts out their on the efficacy of this technique (taping)?
Is it worth the trouble and can I expect to get similar results with
regular electrical tape (Scotch Brand 33) as opposed to the
"fusion" tape?

Thanks,