[TowerTalk] Engineer's seal for Hytower

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 10:26:48 EDT

In a message dated 99-10-19 10:00:50 EDT, mraz@aud.alcatel.com writes:

> I've already discussed this with the building inspector. I asked if
>  the seal was required since its a commercial free-standing antenna.
>  He said I should be able to get one from the manufacturer. The thing
>  that makes it require a seal is that its over 40 ft. tall. According
>  to city ordinance any antenna/tower structure over 40ft. requires a 
>  permit. All permits require a seal.

     Yikes. Gotta follow those rules.
>  I did send off an email to MFJ to see if they had such a seal but I
>  wanted to also check with the TT folks to see if I could get a 
>  quicker response.

        MFJ? Good luck. They don't have any structural PE's on their staff. 
Wouldn't do you any good anyway since it has to be a PE in your state. My 
advice is to get a local PE to do the calcs on what it really is - Rohn BX. 
How many sections is it? If it's 3, then it'd be BX-1, BX-2 and BX-3. What 
info and drawings that are available are in the Rohn catalog (which are 
available from http:www.championradio.com). Check the ARRL website for 
volunteer engineers - http://www.arrl.org/field/regulations/.

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC
Champion Radio Products

FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/towertalkfaq.html
Submissions:              towertalk@contesting.com
Administrative requests:  towertalk-REQUEST@contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-towertalk@contesting.com
Search:                   http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm