[TowerTalk] Temporary masting for C3?

James Clark pugluvers@worldnet.att.net
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 21:00:01 -0400

Joe, I had a "permanent" 33' Radio Shack pushup mast with an Alliance U-110
rotating a Mosley TA-32JR for about 1/12 yrs with no problems.  It was
bracketed to the house at the 17' level, and guyed at the top.  You'll need
at least 2 sets of guys if you don't bracket to anything because of the
lack of stiffness in the mast.  A tower, it's not.

The C3 is a lot more antenna, mine had only a 6' boom.  You literally have
to push it up, not walk it up.  I sat on top of the house where it was
bracketed, put my feet over the edge, straddled the mast (yikes) and pushed
it up in the air a few feet at a time.  Good aerobic exercise.

If you have enough hands, you might be able to walk it up with the guy
wires holding it steady, but it will bend tremendously, and never work
again as a pushup mast because of the bends.  I found this out the hard
way.

Good luck, it worked for me.

Jim Clark  KB0FIR/4
QRT until I get my tower permit from the city.