[TowerTalk] Non-permanent towers; what to do?

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 09:18:39 EDT

In a message dated 99-10-23 00:37:51 EDT, ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca writes:

> Here's the thing: we're still undecided how long we plan to be at this
> location; don't fancy going the whole nine yards and then leaving a ton of
> concrete behind and it would be nice to get something up quickly if I can.
> Just looking to get a small tribander up above the rooftops, 30-40 feet.
> House peak is (+-) 25 feet.
>
>  Roof tower does not pass code here (that's XYL code, BTW) and a house
> bracket is a possible last resort.
>
>  I know some have the budget to say screw it and put up a pair of 150s
anyway,
>  but that's not me. If anyone has any budget-friendly ideas, I'm
listening...

      If it was me I'd put up the aforementioned 30-40 feet of housebracketed
Rohn whatever-you're-going-to-put-up-anyway - i.e. 45G, 55G, etc. Pour the
concrete base below grade so that all you have to do is cover it with dirt
when you leave. Put a good tribander up (you'll need it for another antenna
in the Big System anyway) and go nuts. You'll have fun and the longterm
impact on the present place consists of a bunch of holes in the side of the
house.

      Your other options are primarily self-supporting towers that need lots
of concrete in the base.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech