[TowerTalk] Radials, Antennas, & having fun

Bill Fisher - W4AN w4an@contesting.com
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 11:07:06 -0400 (EDT)

Been kind of out of ham radio working on the eHam.net site.  This past
couple of weeks I got the bug again and bought a HF6V vertical to put
behind my house.  We have two streams that come together back there and it
is generally a pretty wet place.  I stuck the vertical between the two
streams and have run only 13 radials of various lengths so far.  Some of
the radials terminate in the stream.

Question:  Does terminating those radials in the stream make any
difference?

Really a lot of fun to get on the air again on all bands with an antenna
that nobody around here knows about.  I have antenna restrictions here at
home.  I've had a blast getting on the air again working the boys on CW.
The HF6V seems to work really well.  I'm very impressed with it so far.
It is about the same as my attic 20 meter dipole and attic 40 meter
dipole.  The dipoles are pretty high in relation to the rest of the
property because it drops of rapidly behind the house.  On 30 meters last
night I went through a fairly large pile up in 2 calls.  Amazing.

Plans this year include a 2 element 80 meter yagi of some type.  Still
working on the details.  I'm also planning to put up a 7 over 7 stack on
15 meters fixed to Europe and stacking another 5 element 20 over the one I
have now and fixing them both to Europe.  That will give me stacked 48'
booms to Europe on 10, 15 and 20 meters.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Oh.. one last thing.  The eHam.net Detective (Search Engine) is QRV.  We
have indexed all of the lists on this machine as well as the lists at
QTH.net and a few other sites.  It's a great resource and one stop
shopping for knowledge seekers.

73

Bill