[TowerTalk] Non-permanent towers; what to do?

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 05:07:03 -0600

Hi Kelly,

This will NOT pass the K7LXC prime directive but has worked
for me for 25 years.  My ground is primarily clay with limestone
down about 3 ft.

I simply dig a 30 to 36 inch hole, starting with post hole diggers,
then forming a triangle slightly wider than the tower using a flat
bottom shovel.  I widen the bottom, pour in several inches of gravel
for drainage, and place some bricks on top to set the tower legs on.
Before using bricks on the bottom, I used to place a piece of 2 X 8
pressure treated wood under a set of steps, positioned to be just
above ground.  This will last for several years.

After placing the bottom section of tower in the hole, I alternately
refill the hole with dirt and water, stirring to a "soupy" mix and
let it dry for a week before adding more tower.

For the guys, I use screw-in anchors.  On short towers (<60 ft),
I have had no problems with 4 ft shafts with 4 inch plates.  This
includes a TH7 on a 40 ft tower and a 55 ft tower with a pair of
5L10's at 62 / 36 ft and a 4L15 at 55 ft.  They both survived a
near miss from a tornado that took out dozens of trees in my
woods with estimated wind speeds of 90 MPH.  On my 80 ft
towers, I use screw in anchors with 6 inch plates.

When it comes time to move, simply take down the tower,
dig out the base (watering helps) and unscrew the anchors.
It takes several years (20?) for rust to become a problem on the
bottom legs.

All 7of my towers are in the ground as described above.
No concrete and no ground rods.  I have NEVER experienced
lightning damage that I can attribute to a direct hit.  I have had
lightning come in on the power lines.   All of my feedlines go
to the ground and are routed back to the house in shallow open
trenches.

de  Tom  N4KG