[TowerTalk] Non-permanent towers; what to do?

Richard Boyd ke3q@erols.com
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 22:54:39 -0400

The military surplus AB-577 masts might be an excellent choice.  Also, a
short Rohn 25 or 45 might do the job, especially if you can use screw-in
anchors, and maybe some sort of pin or pipe in the earth to position the
base of the tower also.  Some of the rest of you might be able to comment on
whether this would be really poor practice.  73 - Rich, KE3Q

-----Original Message-----
From: Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca>
To: 'towertalk@contesting.com' <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Saturday, October 23, 1999 12:37 AM
Subject: [TowerTalk] Non-permanent towers; what to do?

>Hi.
>
>For various reasons, I'm interested in hearing what others have done for
towers when they know (or have reason to believe) they will only be at a
particular QTH for a short period of time. Not as a field day project, but
rather a semi-permanent skyhook to use while finding the right spot for the
30 sections of Rohn 65 ;=)

>Here's the thing: we're still undecided how long we plan to be at this
location; don't fancy going the whole nine yards and then leaving a ton of
concrete behind and it would be nice to get something up quickly if I can.
Just looking to get a small tribander up above the rooftops, 30-40 feet.
House peak is (+-) 25 feet.

>Roof tower does not pass code here (that's XYL code, BTW) and a house
bracket is a possible last resort.

>I know some have the budget to say screw it and put up a pair of 150s
anyway, but that's not me. If anyone has any budget-friendly ideas, I'm
listening...