[TowerTalk] Failed Limit Switches on Crank-up Tower

Frederick Toth k6kx@earthlink.net
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 20:58:50 -0700

Today I replaced the limit switches on my 72 foot motorized crank-up
tower from US Tower. The lower one failed first, fortunately.  (The
limit switches automatically turn the tower motor off when the tower
telescopes to its limits - up or down). When I opened up them up, I
found that they were very badly corroded   - to the extent of what you
might see if a battery had leaked inside them. I was surprised to see
the extent of corrosion because I have owned the tower for less than
three years.

Has anyone found a way to get a longer lifespan out of these switches?
They cost $130 each to replace.