[TowerTalk] Soldering Weathered Connections

n8ug@juno.com n8ug@juno.com
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 15:18:07 -0400

Before we get the wrong impression on FLUXES -  there is nothing wrong
with the correct kind for any electrical work. The ROSIN fluxes are
designed for the job and are readily available in a number 0of grades for
even the most critical circuit board work. If no residue at all is
necessary, there is flux remover available as well.
Most manual point soldering of this type uses rosin core solder, also
easy to get anywhere, in regular and non-lead versions.
Liquid rosin flux is also effective in cleaning tarnished wire - heated
carefully, the wire end is dipped into the flux quenching and cleaning it
in preparation for the soldering.
"Solder-it" is one of the handiest ways to solder any electrical splice -
it is a mixture of powdered solder and flux in a little dispenser that
can apply the mix to a splice. A tiny butane flame finishes the job. It
is available in many versions, but the correct one for electrical work is
the silver paste.
It's worthwhile to check http://www.solder-it.com to learn more. I'm sure
lots of you have seen Fred Doob's demo at hamfests, showing you how easy
it is!

If you can't find any rosin flux or any of the things mentioned above,
you can read about most of them at http://www.mcmastercarr.com also.

And, by the way, Fred, "NOKORODE" is still available as a brand, but most
everywhere those cans appear, they are for plumbers, and are not
recommended for electrical work. They no doubt make a rosin core version
as well, but it is probably so listed. Don't assume that all NOKORODE is
suitable for electrical work without reading the label as you wisely did.
73,

Press Jones, N8UG, The Wireman, Inc., Landrum, SC, 29356
Sales (800)727-WIRE(9473) or  orders@thewireman.com
Tech help (864)895-4195 or  n8ug@thewireman.com
http://www.thewireman.com  and the WIRELINE news
and bargain page.  Our 22nd year!