[TowerTalk] Soldering Weathered Connections

Wes Attaway wes@attawayinterests.com
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 19:03:23 -0500

For soldering copper wire to large pieces of copper (like tubing or sheets)
I have found that the secret is just what the secret is for all good solder
joints .... clean materials and the right amount of heat.  One really easy
way to clean copper as clean as you can ever get it (even if it is old and
weathered) is to use muriatic acid (a.k.a hydrochloric acid).  It is used by
painters, among others, and sells for $2 or $3 per gallon at any paint store
or places like Home Depot.  I mix it half-and-half with water, and just swab
it on the joints prior to soldering.  For old, dirty, copper you may need to
scour the surface a bit with the brush, but it will really come clean fast.
Then, fire up the propane torch and get the joint hot .... the solder will
flow just like you want it to do.  Just be careful what you put the acid in
(I use a glass jar), and don't breathe the fumes.

--------- Wes Attaway (N5WA) ----------
2048 Pepper Ridge, Shreveport, LA 71115
----------- (318)797-3012 -------------

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-towertalk@contesting.com
[mailto:owner-towertalk@contesting.com]On Behalf Of n4kg@juno.com
Sent: Sunday, October 24, 1999 11:50 PM
To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Soldering Weathered Connections

Anyone have a good technique for soldering new wires
to old weathered connections?

I have two applications in mind which have not gone as
well as I would like.

First, reconnecting stranded copper ladderline wires to
my high 80M dipole which is supported at the ends by
two 130 ft towers.  Typically my ladderline breaks
after one to two years service and it is difficult getting
good clean solder joints to the old stranded copperweld
antenna wire.

Second, when adding radials to a 1/4 inch diameter
copper tube ring (previously tinned) I found it difficult to
reflow the old solder and again got only spotty solder
lump connections.  I have used both direct application
of a propane torch flame and a soldering tip on the
propane torch.  Neither technique was satisfactory.

de Tom  N4KG