[TowerTalk] soldering flux

N. S. FIRESTONE w3svj@juno.com
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 20:53:58 -0400

I know we are not supposed to use it in the electrical trade (who solders
14/12 wire these days anyway) but I could understand the reasoning. The
acid flux itself is conductive and eventually would leach out of the
rubber/friction tape splice to cause major electrical problems. But think
of all of the sweat copper plumbing jobs (pre PVC) that are in the dirt
and nobody seems to worry about it. If we are talking about radial or
antenna connections who cares. The radials are grounded anyway and
leakage surely is no problem that goes for connections to wire antennas
that are air spaced from each other. Maybe acid core solder (KesterAcid?)
for that type of work isn't so bad. Under chassis or on pc boards, don't
do it but in the dirt or in the air? maybe it is OK.

73 de Nate, W3SVJ