[TowerTalk] Nokorode Electronic Paste Flux

Fred Hopengarten k1vr@juno.com
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 10:13:09 EDT

From:
Fred Hopengarten  K1VR               781/259-0088
Six Willarch Road
Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
permanent e-mail address:  fhopengarten@mba1972.hbs.edu
if sending attachments:  k1vr@gis.net

One of my favorite effete intellectual snobs (who is also handsome,
smart, and has a son that any mother would be proud of -- due to the fact
that the son went to my alma mater) has lambasted me for not doing a web
search before revealing that I use Nokorode for soldering broken radials
outdoors, but I wouldn't know where to find it.

When he writes to me, I pay attention (his email address ends:
"@alum.mit.edu").

Here's the bottom line. The perfect product for repairing radials and
splicing Beverage antennas is:

www.rectorseal.com/electro.htm

It comes in 1.6 ounce jars and is available at places like McMaster-Carr.

I spoke with Sean Sites, at RectorSeal, this morning, and he advised the
use of the Electronic Pastge Flux.  I note that the old standard Nokorode
brand products corrode. So much for brand names. However, my new friend
Sean points out that if you have an older tin of Nokorode around and have
to use it "right now,"  flush the finished joint with hot water (boiling
water would be even better, I'd guess) to get rid of the waxy residue.
The problem with the non-electronic paste fluxes is that they they
contain acid (which is why you wanted to use it in the first place) which
will continue to  corrode the wire after you've left. He tells me that
the waxy residue is pretty resistant to the telements.

So the winners from this discussion are:  N4KG (who raised the question),
N6IG (for warning us against the long term effects of leaving flux on a
coax connector),  W1UF (for finding the present day manufacturer and
sending me to the web page), and RectorSeal (for making the correct
product -- "Electronic Paste Flux").

-- Fred K1VR
.
.