[TowerTalk] Soldering Weathered Connections

Tom Hammond - N0SS n0ss@earthlink.net
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 09:17:05 -0500

Mark N1LO wrote:

>The other handiest spray bottle I keep around is common rubbing
>alcohol (70% isopropyl alcohol), which makes a great cleaner,
>degreaser, ahhhh... fire starter and flying insect killer. Set
>this bottle's nozzle for a stream for pinpoint accuracy....

Another use for which I find isoproply alcohol to be invaluable is
as a lubricant when drilling through aluminum.  It makes the bit
cut cleanly and bite like it's going thru warm butter!!!  Signif-
icantly better/cleaner/faster than when using most other commonly-
used drilling lubricants. The difference is pretty astounding.

I mention this because I'm sure many of us have cursed at the length
of time it sometimes takes when we're drilling thru thick aluminum
plates for boom-to-mast plates, etc.

I wish I could claim originality for this hint, but I got it from
an old QST, probably 25 or so years ago.

Who'da thunk it?

73 to all,

Tom Hammond   N0SS