[TowerTalk] INFO NEEDED-Setting tower in hardrock

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 09:30:21 EDT

In a message dated 99-10-28 23:06:44 EDT, joe.carvalho@wcom.com writes:

> I've moved to a very beautiful place. Clean air, cool comfortable
>  temperatures, a little snow on occasion, deer and antelope playing in the
>  yard, elevation 8600' and  solid granite 2'-3' below the surface of the
>  dirt.
>
>  HELP!!! Do I need to blast and pour cement/concrete or can I get away with
>  drilling/epoxy/bolting?

      You didn't mention what you were trying to install - Rohn? Base?
Anchors? What do you have that can be bolted on? Will you need to build a
base, anchor fixture?

       You don't need to blast or get a jackhammer or anything so extreme.
Rent a drill that will take a rock bit or concrete-type corer (I don't know
if there are special ones for coring rock). Your rental yard will have them.

       Once you've got the right holes drilled, you can epoxy in appropriate
anchor bolts. Look in the yellow pages for an industrial supplier for the
right epoxy. This is done all the time so just do a little homework and
you'll be able to do it without too much of a problem.

      An alternative to using epoxy is rock expansion bolts. The supplier can
give you specs on all this stuff.

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech