[TowerTalk] 40-2CD and C3E (which on top)

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Thu, 02 Sep 1999 08:48:12 -0400

At 03:26 PM 9/1/1999 -0600, Dave wrote:

>On Wed, 1 Sep 1999 15:49:58 EDT W4nf@aol.com writes:
>
>>The question is - should I put the 40-2CD at 76' and the C3E at 87' or
>>should
>>I put the 40 mtr beam on top.
>
>If the C3 is your only antenna for 10, 15, and 20, I think
>75' and 87' are both too high. You might think about adding
>a second C3 later, about 30' - 35' below the top one. Depending on
>how your guys are laid out on the tower, that may help you
>decide which one you want to put on top. If you don't want to
>go to the stack, 75 is better than 87 for the tribander.

Right now, at this point in the solar cycle, I think Dave's probably right
about 87 feet, in particular, being too high most of the time.  On the East
coast, the second C-3 would be a good idea for those times during openings
(currently a majority) when Europe arrives at higher angles, and for
stacking.  28-30 feet spacing is better for stacking given the short
effective boomlength.

When I was planning my station back in 1994 a well-known local multi-multi
station builder, famed for his painstaking analysis of antenna issues,
urgently encouraged me to add two more sections to my planned tower and put
my C-3 at 100 ft.
What I've learned since about arrival angles convinced me that he was
right.  I'm still looking to add one or two C-3s below it, but used ones
are as rare as hen's teeth on the East Coast!

73,  Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower