[TowerTalk] To pin or not

Jeff Singer k2kv@reallybig.com
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 18:39:00 -0400

Hi all,

I use Yaesu rotors and big KLM antennas, and have tried it both ways.
Obviously, there is no way to keep the KLMs from turning in the puny Yaesu
clamps, so I've opted to pin. However, if you use Yaesu's supplied pin, it
will simply shear off on both ends at the first gust of wind, so you MUST
use SS bolts.

Yes, the 4130 was a bear to drill through, but if you start with brand new
titanium-tipped bits and go from smaller to larger while using some
lubrication (and you exercise some patience, as well), you'll eventually get
through. And I never have to re-orient the antennas (KT-34XA & 40M4 on same
mast) anymore. They used to spin like tops!

73 de Jeff K2KV
k2kv@reallybig.com