[TowerTalk] Tree anchors

N. S. FIRESTONE w3svj@juno.com
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 07:48:13 -0400

Blessings or not.
The STEEL CITY ARC is surrounded by trees that are sometimes used for guy
anchors as well as wire antenna supports. A method that we use often is
to drill through the tree trunk at a safe level so that nobody gets
"clothes lined". The hole diameter depends on the drilling equipment
available and what size bolt is needed for the pass through. Fortunately,
in another life, I was and electrical contractor and kept enough
equipment around that is quite usable in these projects. I usually use a
piece of PVC conduit as a liner through the tree, it helps a bit to save
the metal from corrosion and also allows for replacement of the anchor
bolt if necessary. On the back side of the tree you might consider some
treated lumber block/shims between a big washer or plate and the bark.
This would allow for bark growth and any adjustments you might want to do
in the future. Most of the trees are pines and it never fails to amaze me
how the bark will grown over and around obstructions on the trunk. In
couple of years the hardware can get buried in the growth, the shims and
PVC give you a little "wiggle" room for resetting everything.
Big auger bits, sturdy 1/2 inch drills and stout tree trunks can be a
difficult combination. Don't go too deep at any one time. Even the
sharpest auger will clog, the tork will try to spin your arms into a pig
tail and the bit will be a real bear to pull out. I have a bunch of pipe
couplings, nipples and other junk that slips over the bit and stops it
from going too deep at any one time. It allows you to pull out the chips
and start again with a relatively clear opening. I'll bet there is an
auger designed specifically for the job but this is the hardware I have
on hand.
Far more than any one wanted to know about tree anchors, it might help
somebody though.
The down side of all of the trees is that they "eat" the beams.

73 de Nate, W3SVJ, in Pittsburgh where it's not so smokey anymore.