[TowerTalk] Guy Wire Tension and Chimneys

Eric Gustafson n7cl@mmsi.com
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 09:28:42 -0700

Hi Bill,

Check with your local building codes.  If they were written by a
competent agency, they will not permit guying to a chimney.  If
the codes permit it, don't do it anyhow.  The preload you are
talking about is probably too much side load for a typical
chimney.  The dynamic working load can easily amount to ten times
this much in a good wind.  Chimneys are NOT usually designed to
support much more than their own loads.

Others will point you towards a tension measuring method.

73, Eric  N7CL