FW: [TowerTalk] More: Antenna Bleed Resistor

z.pitman@libertel.nl z.pitman@libertel.nl
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 09:40:55 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: Pitman, Zoltan /technical,cellular engineering
Sent: Monday, September 13, 1999 11:29
To: 'Dick Wilder (K3DI)'
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] More: Antenna Bleed Resistor

> I believe that a bleeder device on a vertical is a must.  On
> a dry snowy
> winter day, the discharge of charge from snow flakes can build up the
> voltage until it arcs to ground (or through your receiver).
> I understand
> that static build up can even result from dust.

Yes, I experienced this in Mongolia last year.  The wind blows there very
fine dust (as fine as women's power paint) and it creates tremendous static
charge in the antenna. Without the choke I saw it rcing constantly on the
cable of the 26m Titanex. I used a beer bottle and some wire to make a choke
down to the grounding rod using as much wire as I could wind on the bottle.
I checked the Z with an RF analyst and it show no change in feedpoint
impedance.

73 de Zoli HA1AG (E44/Ha1AG JT1X JU1HA)