[TowerTalk] Sunlight tolerant tiewraps

David Feldman dgf@netcom.com
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 10:59:29 -0700 (PDT)

I've used tiewraps to attach feedlines to booms, masts and tower legs over
the years. Many times I've discovered after a few years that the tiewraps
have become completely brittle, but not always. Some tiewraps seem to do
just fine. Being in Colorado I'm sure the sunlight attacks the susceptible
types of tiewraps quickly. While some tiewraps claim "uv resistant" and
all are black, I haven't found a sure-fire source of tiewraps that can survive
the climate.

Anyway, I'm preparing to do a round of antenna work this fall, and I'd like
to secure tiewraps from a source or brand that are known to survive UV
environment like this, as I don't want to go through antenna repairs just
because tiewraps became brittle and failed.

Is there a preferred brand of tiewraps that would meet this requirement, or
should I wrap each tiewrap in (black electric?) tape to shield it (at least
temporarily, for the life of the tape) from sunlight?

73 Dave WB0GAZ dgf@netcom.com