[TowerTalk] mounting a tower in water

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 14:18:38 -0400

At 01:21 PM 9/20/1999 -0400, Donald E. Stiles wrote:

>Bill,
>
>Yup, I have a triangular pond that is an equilateral, 175'~ on a leg.  The
>pond is ~ 1/4 acre with the apex pointed SE.  I have been putting copper
>sulfate in the pond to combat the algae, now under control. Depth in the
>center is ~10'
>
>I have pictured in my mind a large ballast and float that would hold the
tower
>above the waterline.  The 48' tower points up like a bobber, eh?   Do I have
>your creative juices flowing yet?
>
>Any and all suggestions welcome.
>
>tnx es 73 de n8csp k
>
>Bill Heinzinger wrote:
>
>> All kidding aside.
>> Has anyone ever erected their tower in the middle of a pond? I don't mean
>> Scarborough reef.
>> But if someone had a acre or so pond on their property, would there be any
>> advantage?
>>
>> Not planning on doing this, just wondering.

As I recall, there was a famous antenna farm in Connecticut that was
situated in a swamp on a hill (or was that apochryphal?).  At a minimum,
the saturated soil under the pond ought to make a very low-loss ground
return for vertical antennas.  On the other hand, I recall some info to the
effect that fresh water (without an adequate amount of dissolved solids for
conductivity) makes a lousy ground plane.  Sounds as if a VERY shallow pond
would be the best bet.

  My vertical 80M array sits in a seasonal river bottom, which gives me
some concerns about the stability of guy anchors at times.  At least it
seems to work well... only fair I should get some benefit in exchange for
the worry.

73,  Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower