[TowerTalk] Antenna Lock-Up

Bill Coleman AA4LR aa4lr@radio.org
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 22:37:03 -0400

On 9/23/99 21:53, George Mitchell at geomitch@cei.net wrote:

>I have 3-Element tri-bander that has been up for several years.
>The problem: When
>it was first assembled several years ago, not enough (or maybe nothing) of
>anything was applied to allow for ease in disassembling.  I have three
>segments that I have been unable to separate.  I do not want to use a vice
>or any type of gripping tool that will mar and possibly damage the elements.
>Anybody out there have any suggestions?

I had a Cushcraft A3S boom that had the same problem. The solution
involved two things - lubricants and HEAT.

Get a big can of WD-40. (Technically, it is too volatile to use as a
lubricant, but it will work in this service) Soak the joint thoroughly.
It make take several applications.

Add heat to the joint. Either use a heat gun, or even a small propane
torch will work.

Work the joint loose by twisting and pulling. I used a few QuickGrip
clamps and a sawhorse to hold one end of the boom. A heavy leather glove
allowed me to twist one part of the boom.

Keep working at it. Eventually, you'll get them apart. I did.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
Quote: "Boot, you transistorized tormentor! Boot!"
            -- Archibald Asparagus, VeggieTales