[TowerTalk] Proper Torque

Bill Jackson k9rz@probe.net
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 06:46:34 -0500

>  Now not having a torque wrench, I am guessing that would be about as tight
> as a 145 pound guy (like me) can lighten with a 4"-5" box-end or open-end
> wrench--not a socket.

Not even close.  Let's analyze this.  120 inch pounds equals 12 inches x 10
pounds and  1 foot equals 12 inches.  Therefore, if you used a wrench that was 1
foot long (or 12 inches),  you would exert 10 lbs of force at a radial distance
of 1 foot at the end of the wrench.   You don't need to eat your Wheaties for
this one.

Since this is also hard to judge, I would invest in a torque wrench to make sure
all the nuts were equally tight so you don't put unequal stresses on cast
aluminum housing.

de Bill