[TowerTalk] Rohn tower antenna sq. Ft.

Chuck Sudds csudds@probe.net
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 08:49:14 -0500

At 09:01 AM 9/25/1999 -0400, you wrote:

Mike!

	Unless you are planning on using this tower for a VHF/UHF array or a SMALL
tri-bander, I would not even think about it!  The thing about this type of
tower that may not be well known is the fact that Rohn specifies that the
"BX, HBX and HDBX" series of towers not be used with any antenna with a
boom length of over TEN FEET!  So unless you are planning an array with
LOTS of UHF type antennas, the windloading shouldn't even come into play
with this tower.

	Unfortunately, I have lost two of these types of towers by trying to "push
the envelope" and NOT following the LXC Prime Directive!!!

Chuck  KØTVD

>>I have a Rohn "BX" series tower, one with a little age on it but in great
>>shape, and I'm hoping that someone will have an idea as to the antenna
>>square foot load that it will safely accept.  The Rohn spec. book will not
>>help, at least the new one.
>>
>>The tower is basically an HDBX 48 with an extra BXS7 section which is
>>straight and mounts above the BX8 base section and below the standard BX7
>>section.  My guess would be that of 14 square feet as the HDBX 48 handles
>>18 (top section being the BX3) and the BX56 handles 10 (top section being
>>the BX2).  Any other "guesses" would be appreciated!
>>
>>If someone is familiar with this type of tower and has the true
>>specifications I would very much like to hear from you!!
>>
>>Thanks for your help!
>>
>>'73 Mike Dunlap K0NWA

Chuck Sudds  KØTVD
Missouri Valley Iowa (Harrison County) U.S.A.
	Heartland DX Association - http://ns1.qsl.net/hdxa/

http://www.probe.net/~csudds

http://www.probe.net/~beakers