[TowerTalk] Tower advice

James Clark pugluvers@worldnet.att.net
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 21:37:29 -0400

Jim Clark  KB0FIR  pugluvers@worldnet.att.net

Need advice on putting up my first tower...have a large back yard and am
anticipating a building permit for a 50-55' tower.  My question
is...crank-up or free standing.  My wife absolutely refuses to have guys in
the yard, and with kids I agree.  Several people have suggested a Trylon
free standing tower (wow, they're large).  Would like to pour less concrete
and go with a crank-up, but am concerned about safety and difficulty in
installation..I'll have it professionally installed.

Plan to go with either a Force 12 C3 or C4, Cushcraft X7 or X9, or a 3-4
element quad.  Any input would be appreciated.  Would love a big tower, but
hate the idea of lots of trucks in my back yard.