[TowerTalk] Calculating Raised Guy Height-Lengths?

k6ll@juno.com k6ll@juno.com
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 08:06:34 -0600

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999 10:20:56 -0400 "DavidC" <b4e@earthlink.net> writes:

>Progress at last!  The trees have come down, the area is
>being cleared, tower-time approaches!
>
>One of the three guy anchor points encroaches upon the yard.
>I want to use a raised guy anchor at that point.
>
>My tower is a 60 foot Rohn 45 and if I have understood the
>Rohn manual the guy points are 48 feet out from the base
>and 85 feet apart around the perimeter.
>
>Higher-math is one of my many weaknesses.  If I raise a guy
>point to 7 feet how much less than 48 feet is that guy point
>from the tower base, please?

Since horizontal distance is 80% of height, the answer is
.8x7 = 5.6 feet.

>I haven't yet found a local construction-site-surplus-source for
>I-beams but when I do how much longer than the 7 feet above
>ground does the beam need to be?  I was guessing that I need
>a 10 foot piece so that I may put 3 feet in concrete.  Any
>additional advice as to setting the beam properly is appreciated.

I'm not a soils expert, but 3 feet doesn't sound like enough.
You could also back-guy the I-beam like the power companies do
on their poles.

>Also, for cosmetic reasons I am thinking of sliding a piece of
>PVC over the I-beam and filling it with concrete.  Is this an OK
>idea or do folks have better suggestions?  Here in central
>Florida the wood options are limited due to termites and a
>hollow PVC tube makes too friendly of a home for beasties.
>
>Finally, does the I-beam come with attachment holes or
>will I need to find someone who can drill one?  Or is there
>another way to attach the guy to it?

The Rohn book shows a method of attaching guys to an I-beam.
Have a machine shop make a 45 degree mitre cut on one end of
the I-beam, and have them drill one individual hole for each
guy wire.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
San Diego, CA
K6LL@juno.com