[TowerTalk] US Tower: Broken cable, resolution?

Al Williams alwilliams@olywa.net
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 10:29:50 -0800

I would like to read a mini-tutorial on tower strength and wind loading from
some of our tower experts.
1.  Is it true that the wind speed at say 100' is greater than at 50'?
always?
2. For a free-standing tower, is the failure mode most likely at the very
bottom of tower?,
3. Tri-ex in FirstCalls nice website states that the designer should add up
wind surface area of all of the installations on the tower and that a tower
should be selected that exceeds the total. But they go on to state that for
stacked antenna installations, the tower should be derated.

 Intuitively, it seems to me that lower beams of the stack would not cause
as much stress on the tower as the higher beams and that the towers rating
could be actually be increased.  Or more correctly, the
square footage of the lower installations could be derated. To illustrate my
point, surely a 70' tower rated at 10' sq ft   would withstand a much
greater wind speed if the beam were placed at say the extreme 2' from
ground.

Although these questions refer to free-standing towers, I would like to also
read a tutorial on guyed towers.  I suspect that many other towertalk
readers  would enjoy, appreciate,  and benefit from our
towertalk talkers writings as I have not seen this kind of material in my 20
or so antenna books!

73 k7puc