[TowerTalk] Hex Beam

i4jmy@iol.it i4jmy@iol.it
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 15:53:35 +0200

You say a 20 Ohm impedance, but from the manufacturer claims on his web
pages it's possible to argue a direct feed and no matching device for
the Hex antennas.
If the above argued is real (hope not) and your modeling correct, all
the model gain colud be not confirmed in the practice.
Infact, in the case the feed point of a closed spaced yagi were 50 Ohm,
but its R only 20 Ohm, the missing 30 Ohm (allowing the direct match)
are somewhere hidden, but present, in the form of losses, about 3.5 dB.
Losses are also prone, and good, to flatten SWR because they decrease
the antenna Q (typ. case of some trapped tribanders on 20m).
If you send me a file with the dimension used for your model I'll
convert it in a form suitable for the modeling software I use.
In the past I've already done several tries with compact beams (mostly
those of the Moxon's book "HF antennas for all locations")
I do not like the pure academy so, transforming my early easy example
models to more complex ones to approach reality and comply with the
practical needs (reasonable impedance, mechanical strenght, enough
bandwith/gain/FB, etc.) it came out that most of the compact beams
performances are more theorical than achievable in practice.
Generally speaking not loaded elements do not to rise losses and Q, but
the short spacing in a yagi or phased array, anyhow increase the
antenna Q and the losses.

73,
Mauri I4JMY

is not