[TowerTalk] Tri-ex Tower Base

AL7H@aol.com AL7H@aol.com
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 18:00:11 EDT

I recently confronted the very same situation, i.e. good deal on an out-of-
production 3 section 54' self-supporting crank-up tower.  And just like
yours, it didn't have a base.

Searched around for a base to buy - and looked for awhile at US Tower's bases
as an option.

Ended up having a welding shop frabricating one for me.  I'm no mechanical
(or electronic) wizard.  I worked out well and a lot cheaper than buying a
base (even if the US Tower base could have been used).  The steel they used
was real thick and over-designed.  It's REAL solid.

I'd suggest that you:
(1) use plywood to make a template pattern for the horizontal plate - for
dimensions and  hole placement;

(2) use plywood to make template patterns for the three vertical pieces that
will go up next to the tower legs;

(3) Get the shop to FIRST fabricate the actual horizontal base portion from
your plywood template;

(4) SECOND bring that home to where your tower is and position it up under
the tower and mark exactly where your vertical pieces will go;

(5) THIRD go back to welding shop and have them make steel pieces to match
your plywood and weld them on where you have marked - - be sure the vertical
pieces are welded on at exact right angles to the horizontal - no bolt holes
yet in the vertical pieces;

(6) FOURTH take that set up back home and then check the fit to the bottom of
the tower - if all is well - then mark exactly where you want the shop to
drill the bolt holes in the vertical pieces;

(7) FIFTH  back to the shop for the drilling of all bolt holes

(8) you may find that the bolts won't exactly fit into the holes of the
vertical parts of the base but you can enlarge them with a rasp bit on a
drill.

(9) I ended up painting my base with some anti-rusting stuff and then a nice
looking grey paint over.

MISTAKE I MADE: was to try and combine too many steps of the fitting process.
 It was too frustrating - just take it one little bit at a time and it will
work out fine.

73.....Alan K0AV
Colorado Springs