[TowerTalk] re 120v inside conduit

dan hearn dhearn@ix.netcom.com
Sun, 09 Apr 2000 19:15:54 -0700

I have had 2 recent experiences with buried cable:
1. My daughter asked for help when her Dish system went Kaput. The coax
to the dish was buried about 4 inches deep. An ohmeter test showed the
shield was not continuous from end to end. I pulled it up and found that
a varmint (believed to be a gopher) had chewed the vinyl and braid in
two. We solved the problem with new coax run overhead.
2. Sometime later, she had a problem with the GFI tripping on a circuit
going to her horse barn. I measured leakage between the conductors in
the buried Romex. It was buried about 6 inches and was the direct burial
stuff, type NM I believe it is called. When I uncovered it, sure enough,
the varmint had chewed the insulation off. I put the new cable in PVC
pipe and no problem yet. I am locate in the Spokane area. Never had
these problems inDallas, Hi. 73, Dan, N5AR
PVC pipe and OK so far.