[TowerTalk] Tower Questions

Joel k2qbv@cyburban.com
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 21:15:34 -0400

Perhaps  we  can give you answers to some of your questions after working with the TRI EX engineering staff.  Well, here goes;

Towers are designed to resist lateral wind forces.  The uniform lateral wind load  (pounds per foot) is computed by multiplying  the projected area of a tower  (square feet of area per foot of tower length) times the wind pressure (pounds per foot).

Prior  to 1986, the standards used a constant pressure over the tower height.  Different areas of the country  were designated Zone A, B, and C with the respective constant wind pressure of 30,40 and 50 psf.  If you lived in zone B, the wind pressure was considered a constant 40 psf over the entire height of the tower.

Research found that the earth creates turbulence in the wind flow. The wind would travel faster as one got further away from the affects of buildings, trees, hill, and etc.   So, the code changed from a constant wind pressure to a designated Fastest Mile Wind Speed or the Basic Wind Speed designation..  Now one must find out what the basic wind speed is for the City , County, or local municipality..  In Fresno, California (next to
Visalia) the Basic wind speed that Fresno accepts is 70 mph.   70 mph is as low as the code permits.  The coast of Florida is 120 mph wind area.

Under the current code, for a given wind speed, there are height coefficients.   For example, Kz is the height factor, gust, exposure coefficient.
Ht               Kz          Press             Gust            Import          Pressure
0-20            .87          10.87            1.16            1.00              12.63
20-40          1.06         13.25            1.16            1.00              15.40
40-60           1.19        14.88            1.16           1.00                17.29
60-80          1.29         16.16            1.16           1.00                18.77
80-100       1.37          17.22            1.16           1.00                20.01

The stanard tower analysis done  by this structual engineer is for Exposure B which is suburban terrian.  Some cities want Exposure C which is an open terrian where wind is unobstructed for a one mile radius.  One can now see how the wind pressure increases with height.  This can be equated to say the wind is faster at higher heights but the standard call for the wind speed to be measured at the 33 foot elevation. All the
anommeters around the county are to be 33 ft. off the ground.   The wind speed is a 50 year old wind..
Now to  comment on the other question concerning failure of towers.  The failure point of crank up towers on most towers the critical members are the braces in the lap joint. The tower and base is like a chain, it is only as strong as the weakest link.

Hope the above answers some of the questions asked on towertalk about a week ago  If there are any comments, I will pass it along to the P. E.  that put the above together. ..

Regards to all.

Joel, K2QBV
FIRST CALL COMMUNICATIONS,INC
(come visit us at the Visalia DX Convention this week end)