[TowerTalk] ridge top derating factors

DavidC DavidC" <eDoc@netzero.net
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 17:18:36 -0400

Hank:

   I recently viewed a video discussion of siting requirements
for windmills.  They concluded that small hilltop sites were
better than cliff-top sites because the wind was more steady
and less prone to strong gusts on the hilltop. Choosing the
hilltop presented less stress to the windmill and more continuous
breezes.

   I also understand that a location near and above a forest-top
also tends to have more wind.

   Would you suggest that these factors would be more or less
significant for a windmill than a radio tower installation?

- Thanks! & 73, DavidC  K1YP in Hudson, FL

> There is no "right de-rating" factor. What you might do is to research
> similar geographic locations that have weather data available. Call the
NWS
> and see what they have. I think they also have a web sight. Look for
> locations with similar terrain layouts in California and use that as a
basis
> for the design wind. On the Oregon Coast it is not unusual to use 120 mph
as
> a design wind velocity depending on the type of installation and local
> geography. I would think a 100+ mph velocity would not  be out of the
> ballpark.
>
> Hank / KR7X P.E.

NetZero - Defenders of the Free World