[TowerTalk] Rai Beam

Guy Olinger, K2AV k2av@contesting.com
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 01:20:14 -0400

I have not seen anybody adequately quantify the parameters at work  when
"working contesting stations right at the noise level". To even begin to
consider it raises a blizzard of technical/mathematical quandaries.

HOWEVER, that I cannot create the mathematics to model it, does not
negate the contesting experience....

1/2 dB doesn't seem to matter for anything at one end, whereas 3 dB may
open up another layer given  marginal circumstances. When 10 meters is
open like it has been recently, a wet noodle is a killer antenna. When
10 is lousy, that 3 dB can have you working weak stations when everyone
else says the band is closed.

You HAVE seen a center fielder turn his back to the ball, run toward the
wall and catch it over his shoulder. Anyone know how to program a "PC in
the center fielder's head" to automate that? Nope. But it does happen.

There is a lot going on with that 3 dB additional gain and we DO have
the experience. The math is an altogether different question.

When I am constructing my contest station, I am trying to add up all the
1/2 dB's and get me a 3 dB to work with. An antenna with pattern will
lower the noise that competes with my hearing desired stations. An
antenna also with gain will increase the chances that a distant
contester will hear me with his antenna pointed elsewhere, or make me as
loud as a station running higher power.

The reason why I will try to put up a 3 element 40 beam instead of a 2,
is to reduce the noise off the back (particularly when I'm trying to
work Europe). I have used both a 3 element full sized monster and a
shortened 40 meter 2 element. There is all the difference in the world
at the end of the contest. Math or no math. Marketing or no marketing.

73, Guy
k2av@contesting.com
Apex, NC, USA